23 June 2010

Headline News

Who doesn't recognize the famous photo above? This iconic photo has become a symbol of the end of World War II, and I have always found it tres romantic. Here are a few things I didn't know about this photo:
-The nurse in the liplock with the sailor is Edith Shain, who died today at the age of 91.
-I always assumed the two were reunited lovers, but they did not know each other at all! The photographer wrote: "I was walking through the crowds on V-J Day, looking for pictures. I noticed a sailor coming my way. He was grabbing every female he could find and kissing them all — young girls and old ladies alike. Then I noticed the nurse, standing in that enormous crowd. I focused on her, and just as I'd hoped, the sailor came along, grabbed the nurse, and bent down to kiss her." My, my!
In other headline news, we have a royal wedding in the works! Prince Albert of Monaco is engaged to Charlene Wittstock of South Africa. Anything that involves weddings and royalty makes this girl's heart go pitter patter! You can bet your Louis and your Loubs that I will be on the lookout for matrimonial photos after this wedding takes place...
And what timing as I just finished reading "A Touch of Grace: How to be a Princess the Grace Kelly Way". Another interesting fact I picked up in the book: Grace Kelly was 5 feet, 6 1/2 inches - my exact height! Coincidence? I think not... Oh Grace, how I adore you!
*A warm welcome and air kisses to all the new readers and followers - I'm so excited to have reached 100!* 

7 comments:

Southern Living: Preppy Style said...

Yay for 100! I love that you detailed the story behind that picture, I had no idea they didn't know each other. Very whimsical, romantic, celbratory...I don't know how to describe it. The fact that they didn't know each other has so much more meaning behind the picture.

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

You are the cutest doll ever, have I told you that lately? Reason #997 why I love you - "You can bet your Louis and your Loubs" HAHAH!! Mwah! Happy 100 and here's to MANY MANY MORE! :)

PS - 66 days, EEEEE!! How was the fitting??

Sweet Southern Prep said...

How crazy about that? I had no idea they didn't even know each other. I guess I always made up some story about them in my head. Haha!

I'maNolaGirl said...

That is my favorite photo of all time!

Congrats on hitting 100! You're blog is so adorable that I bet we're celebrating 200 before you know it!

Bumpkin on a Swing said...

Stop it, Shut up, I am such a royal junkie...wow how cool is that?
I am dying to get to the bookstore, and get the Grace book, was she not a stunner? So beautiful, she was Mamma's favorite!

Anonymous said...

Did you see Princess Victoria of Sweden's wedding this past weekend? I'm so excited about this Monaco wedding, but what pressure trying to have a wedding as elegant as Grace Kelly's!

A Wedding Story said...

I can't wait to see the pictures from the next royal wedding!