16 March 2010

Father of the Bride

As a wedding-loving little girl, Father of the Bride was is one of my favorite movies. My 7-year-old-self would dream of my very own wedding day exactly like Annie Banks'. I even imagined myself as a 22-year-old bride for most of my childhood because of this very movie (22 seemed SO OLD - my how things change as you grow up!). This past Sunday, I was craving some FOTB, so Fiancé and I watched the movie with my parents... I was shocked by my 26-year-old bride-to-be reaction. Basically, I cried for the better part of the 2 hours that the movie lasted. Opening scene where George talks about losing his little girl: tears. The montage of pictures in his head of his little girl as a baby and growing up: more tears.
I had completely forgotten that they played My Girl during this scene. (This happens to be the song my dad sang to me as a little girl AND the song that we will dance to for the Father/Daughter dance... cue more sobbing. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house during this scene.)
Don't you just adore Franc? Love that accent! (And love him for providing some comic relief between the sobs... THANK YOU, MARTIN.) 
Ever since our engagement, I have cried at the walk-down-the-aisle-moment in movies... this was no exception. Now, please don't write me off as the crazy crying bride (despite the mounting pile of evidence). I could not be more excited about my upcoming wedding and spending the rest of my life with my best friend and the man of my dreams. I get so emotional because I have been dreaming of this day since I first saw Father of the Bride or even before, and all of my dreams are coming true. (I cannot even explain the excitement when I picture the details of the day, doodle my new married name, or think about our new life as husband and wife.) But even though I am all grown up and a lady, there is a part of me that will always be Daddy's Little Girl. How are we EVER going to make it down the aisle (the Church has a loooong aisle) and through My Girl sans tears?

Are any of you other brides-to-be super emotional too?

mJa

4 comments:

Headbands and Hand Bags said...

I was just thinking about this movie! Such a classic!

Trish {Pink Preppy Lilly Lover} said...

You are too darn cute. I love reading your enthusiasm for your upcoming wedding! FOTB is hands down the sweetest best wedding movie ever. You and your dad will be so adorable dancing to My Girl.

Don't worry about tears going down the aisle - you'll be fine! It's the best, most surreal moment walking down the aisle. I was kind of nervous/anxious (mostly because I couldn't believe the big day was finally here! and also because I am kind of OCD when it comes to planning etc. ;-) ) Having my dad on my arm is a memory I will cherish for the rest of my life. Looking down the aisle to see Matt, as soon as our eyes locked I instantly felt at peace.

You're going to be a beautiful bride young lady! :)

Let The Tide Pull Your Dreams Ashore said...

Such a great movie and who doesn't love Franc! xx

Anonymous said...

I can definitely relate to this post! When I was engaged, I teared up at almost every single wedding movie I saw, and I am not a big crier.

But as soon as the wedding day arrived, I was completely calm. So don't worry. As a non-crier who shed many tears over weddings and wedding dresses while watching TV, I can tell you you'll surprise yourself with how composed and excited you'll feel when you finally walk down the aisle.